Monday, March 28, 2011

Calling All Writers

The oldest two of my students are required to complete a four page paper with four sources in the next couple of weeks. They have the choice about what their topic is and they definitely have gone in separate directions. It is interesting to see. This paper is their second of the year. I am trying to familiarize them with the ins and outs of writing, researching and documentation. For the middle kid, this is a stretch. As a dyslexic, he struggles with spelling, writing and spacing within his paper. I have given him an example of what I am looking for but I am not hand holding him at all. If he cannot do it, he has to get help from someone. He can ask anyone, including me. So far he has taken off on it. It is the first thing that he works on when he does school. I am shocked. I wonder if I will be able to read and understand any of it? That is the beauty of home schooling. There are so many ways to do things and each kid is so different. I have taken two separate paths with the boys. The middle child has what would be termed as 'trouble' with school. Yet, at home, we can push and pull until we figure out his rhythm. I love this part of being home. Don't get me wrong, it makes for some hard times. But there is something about the clarity and truth involved in this style of teaching. All of my children are learning to see the world from a different perspective. I know that people are concerned that home schooled children aren't socialized enough. They also question the teaching. I have woven our methods to fit our lives. They are growing and developing and that is my biggest goal. They are learning how to interact with each other and I find value in that. The oldest has grow into quite a helper. Today, he picked up his sister (she had surgery last week) and carried her into the house. He also picked her up and loaded her into the truck at the store. Little glimpses into integrity give me hope. I look forward to trying read the papers that I will be receiving in the next week or so. I'll let you know how it goes. ~Camo Pants

No comments:

Post a Comment