Saturday, March 16, 2013

"Oh, Are You Getting Out?"

So I have been floating around and I have to say that my blogspot is the only one that sports the 'tools.' No matter what I do, I cannot fix this issue. What I really need is a tech guy to move into basement. I think that I could keep him full-time busy. Uggh...

So if you can stand my lack of ability, continue reading. If you can't...I guess it was nice knowing ya!

It is hard to believe that is it the middle of March already. The thought of school ending in 2 short months gives me chills late at night.

"Did the kids learn anything this year?"

"Am I ruining their education by keeping them home?"

Those are the questions that berate me when my weary head finally hits the pillow. Yet, I know in my heart that something is going right here. I have a 15 year old (fairly normal learner,) a 14 year old (severe dyslexic) who shudders at the thought of school and I am convinced will be living in my basement when I am 80 and an almost 11 year old (ESL learner who was adopted from China at the age of 8 years old.) This particular child is still learning how to transfer her allegiance, language, reading and writing from the Chinese way- to the American. Is it any wonder that I lie awake at night?

The kids are so involved outside of the house, sometimes it is difficult to fit school in our schedule. Yet, it is imperative. I did have to laugh though at the doctor last week. Every time we go and see him, we introduce home schooling to him. Every time. He has been our doctor for over 8 years and still asks, "So where do you go to school?"

My kids laugh. "Home school."

"Oh, are you getting out? Seeing other children? Socializing through church?"

I groan inwardly. "Getting out? Seeing others? Socializing?"

They have mastered the art of the reply, "Yes sir. We see other kids and attend our church youth group."

The whole time my eyes are spinning around in my head because in the past month, I have been home for a total of one hour in short one minute chunks. I wish I were kidding. The boys were involved (heavily) in FFA and competed at a state level with their Greenhand Conduct of Meetings team (3 practices a week.) They also completed a college level science experiment and competed at a state level. They ride at the stables 2 x a week, they attend youth group, Jared sings in the youth choir, they are both officers in their 4-H club and are running for 4-H State Awards. Jacie rides horse, swims at least once a week, has therapy and gets with friends between doctor appointments. Whew...yup doc, I think that they are okay socially. I just haven't figured out where to put school among all their socailizing.

I'm tired just from writing it all.

~Camo Pants

No comments:

Post a Comment